Tuesday 13 February 2007

Snow Days, 100 Days, Fingers, etc

Much to Marietta's disappointment school was cancelled today. Yes ... she was disappointed, even cried for a few minutes ... but she got over it quickly. Today was suppose to be a special day ... it was suppose to be the 100th Day of school, and that means a big celebration at school. The kids have all been looking forward to this day since Day #1. I could understand her disappointment!! But she got over it after a bit as we explained that since they only count the days they actually go to school ... that would mean that Wednesday would be 100 Day. With that in mind she could have a fun relaxing day and look forward to tomorrow.

Much to Marietta's disappointment school is cancelled again tomorrow. She cried again ... but she'll be excited tomorrow morning when she wakes up to see all the snow and drifts and fun she can have outside. She was even more disappointed this time because now 100 Day is on Thursday and she has a doctors appointment that day. For a few weeks now Marietta has been complaining that her middle finger hurts. We discovered a small bump right at the bottom of the finger, where the finger meets the hand, in the inside, in the part that bends (does that make any sense?? sorry don't know how to describe the place). Anyways, the bump is under the skin and almost seems to be in the vein or something. I remember having a similar idea once after having an IV, it tooks weeks to go away ... but that doesn't explain how she got this bump. It's hard for us to gage how much it actually hurts because Marietta looooovvvvvvessss to whine and complain and whine and complain about every little scratch, bump, bruise, etc. So we've been putting her off and told her it will go away on it's own after a few weeks. So a few weeks have gone by and yesterday she comes home to show us her finger which seems to have developed another small bump this time in the inside of the knuckle area where the finger bends (funny thing is I couldn't find that bump back again tonight). Her finger also was a bit red and had a bit of swelling ... odd! So I finally gave up and decided to take her to the doctor ... if even at least the doctor can tell her it will go away on it's own and it will make her stop whining ... funny how sometimes they'll listen better to the doctor then their parents.

This morning Rob went outside to shovel while the kids played out in the snow. Even James got all bundled up and tried to brave the piles ... wait until tomorrow ... they're over his head!! Rob cleared the driveway and James spent most of the time playing around on there. Then Rob cleared the sidewalk ... and James wandered down there ... a place he really isn't allowed to go, but I must admit it sure looked cute to see this little guy zooming back and forth down the pathway since all I could see from in the house was his upper half. Rob said he was having great fun running down what seemed to him like a tunnel.

The girls had asked to do something special since it was a snow day ... to which I promptly said that if they can't go to school we can't go anywhere else either. They said even just a game together would be special. Well I must thank Harry for making the day "special". As Rob finished shovelling, Harry seen everyone outside and stopped by, offering to take them (minus James, I got to keep him) out to Timmy's for hot chocolate and a donut. This was a nice treat for the girls as Harry usually takes Rob out for coffee and they always want to go with. It was also a nice treat for me since I am chugging away at my photo albums right now, trying to get caught up ... so I had an hour and a half of peace ... James played so nicely I didn't even notice him.

So yes, my current project is catching up on my photo albums ... I was 14 months behind on all of them. Over a month ago my sister-in-law lent me her cutters and finally last week I got them out of the bag and went to work on the albums (only because she said she was feeling ready to get back to her albums ... nothing like a little pressure, eh). I took my stuff out last week and told myself I was not putting it away until I was all caught up. Well, I only got 1 day in last week and 1 hour in yesterday, but 3 hours in today ... slowly getting better, maybe 4 hours tomorrow?
I began this project because ... can you believe it ... no appointments this week. Oh, clarify, no James or Steph appointments this week. Marietta had an ortho yesterday, which takes all of 1o minutes ... and then her upcoming Thursday appointment ... but no major, time consuming appointments. It has been a long, long time since I've been able to say we haven't had any appointments in a week (okay, it was Christmas time, but that's still long enough). I also began this project because I know this lull in visits is only the calm before the storm ... March is looking brutal ... at least the beginning is and by time we reach March I'm sure the end will have filled up even more.

We finally got James' reflux medication today, after having to wait for special forms to be filled out so the medicine could be covered by the government plan he is on, only to find out that they have booked his PH Probe test for Feb 28 and he needs to be off the medication for 7 days prior to the test. So we started him up on the medication and in a few days we should be able to put him back on his night time feeds to see if it actually works ... only to take him off of the medication and feeds a few days later. But he's gone far too long without his night feeds so even a few days will help boost his intake and balance his levels.

So that's about the sum of things around here for now ... hopefully I'll get some snow pictures tomorrow. Finally some real snow!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

only 14 months behind in the photos not to bad i am just starting 2003 hahaha
glad you all finaly got that big dump of snow ours is melting fast.