Thursday 29 March 2007

A Better Week

Well I'm thankful to say that this week has gone by much quieter and smoother ... I can even say it was rather productive.

We immediately took James off the antibiotic he was taking last week and first we seen our little boy come back again, then the fevers disappeared, and finally the rash went away, next the runny nose and cough came back. Already the following day James was more himself again, content and happy, playing nicely for a good part of the day. He did still get a fever later that day which brought him down again, but we could see improvement. By Saturday James was James again, the sparkle was back in his eyes, he was chattering and "talking" again and we didn't see anymore fevers that day either. The rash slowly disappeared and by Sunday morning was gone. The best part of all is that since Sunday I've finally been able to get some sleep again. He still usually wakes/cries/calls at least once a night, but it's just to make sure I'm still around ... no more unhappy, feverish, unwell, "owees", etc.

So on Monday we had to start him on his new antibiotics (two this time), something I really didn't want to do because we finally were seeing some real stools and it would sure be nice to get the formula issues sorted out. But on Monday we also seen the clear runny nose back and heard that phlegmy cough again, so even though he reacted to the last antibiotic it was still helping. He seems to be tolerating this round of antibiotics well, except for the normal stool problems that comes with antibitoics ... but he's mostly happy and content.

We can also see now that the Losec (reflux med.) does seem to be helping and that it was the other factors (infection & medicine reaction likely) that were causing his nighttime disturbances, coughing fits, etc. Since last Friday he's been doing well at nights and only seems to wake/cry because he's insecure ... or so it seems. Hopefully we continue to see this pattern and the Losec remains effective so that we do not have to add anymore medications to keep his reflux/aspiration under control.

Tomorrow we have to go see the GI Doctor. I don't think this appointment will bring any further changes, especially now that we think the Losec is helping the reflux ... but we'll see what information we can gather this time.

I enjoyed a week of catching up - paperwork, cleaning, baking, etc. Instead of having my regular cleaning done this week we tackled the last of my spring cleaning. The kitchen was the only room left that needed a good scrubbing, between the two of us it was done in no time. Also, on Monday and today I dropped Rebecca and James off at the sitters for the morning. This had a dual purpose ... quiet time for me to get some stuff accomplished at home as well as training time for the sitter. I have come to realize (especially with the upcoming baby) that it is not good for just Rob and I to know how to feed and take care of James ... so I've had to part with my "baby" and allow someone else to enjoy his presence for a while. This gives the sitter a chance to learn how to do James' tube feeds and still have me within phone (or computer) reach to answer any issues that arise. I drop them off in the morning while James is still having his morning feed and pick them up shortly after she has gotten his lunch feed started. So far it seems to be going well. James has been enjoying these outtings as well and cries when I come to get him. It is not often he gets left behind as he is usually the one with the appointments, but as the weeks go by he'll be getting his turn more often.

And ... spring is here!!! We've have some lovely days and lots more to come I'm sure.

Here's a picture of something new James has taken. He's been wanting to get his hands on the keyboard for some time. I finally gave in and started him on the same program the girls started on at his age. He's so happy to be able to be just like everyone else.






And Marietta is sporting a new hairstyle. She's been asking for a while to have it chopped off ... I finally gave in, and must say I like it, altho the pictures doesn't do it much justice.

No comments: