Saturday 20 October 2007

Keeping Afloat

Rob has often regretted his decision to continue on with school. He immediatley fell behind at the beginning of the year while he was trying to help out extra at home. Once he decided to carry on with school he ceased with the extra help and began to focus fully on his school work. But once behind always behind and so it was a challange in a good situation to get caught up again, and then things took a worse turn. Missing several days of school and trying to concentrate when so many other things are going on has not worked well and so Rob has decided that in order to keep afloat he is going to need to drop his Hebrew course. If he can survive through the semester with only dropping this course he can either try to make up the lost credit next semester or during summer school, and therefore save from losing a whole school year. Neither of these are a favourable decision as he'll only be able to manage this next semester if everything goes completely smoothly and summer school is difficult on the work and family situation, him being home so little as it is when he's just working (never mind that James has spent the last two summers in the hospital). But we will have to cross those bridges when they come, for the time being he needs to keep his sanity right now. He is fortunate that the University has been understanding and has agreed to allow him to take Hebrew next semester, even though he will not be completing this semester.

As for James. He is doing quite well. We have now gone over 24 hours without a fever. Yesterday morning he still had a low grade fever, which he managed to fight off without any medication and since then he's been without fevers, although sometimes still borderline low-grade. This is exciting as it's an indication the medication is working, unfortunatley his oxygen needs remain at 2.5L, we haven't seen any improvement in this area, but we did not expect to so quickly either, so we are still optimistic.

Since I now enjoy going for a walk each day instead of spending time in the computer lab that means you see Rob's name at the end of more blog entries. Several times a day I manage to get a strong enough wireless connection from our room in order to send and receive e-mails, but usually not strong enough to be surfing and posting blogs (altho I've managed a few times). So if I can't post the blog myself I leave it in the outbox and hope they make it to Rob who in turn posts them for me. So in case you all thought my writing style had rubbed off on Rob, I'm can assure you they haven't ... you may even notice that they are more grammatically correct now since he now gets a chance to edit my babble before it hits the screen! :)

As for the comments I received on walking. Yes, that is Queen's Park north of the hospital, and it's only a few minutes walk. I have not yet taken a closer walk by it but just a walk-by as I try to see what's all around us. And thank's Amy for telling me the Eaton's Centre was that close. I knew it was a few blocks over, but thought it was a bit further of a walk. Yesterday I ventured that way, but I've never been too fond of shopping and since I'm trying to get exercise speeding walking in the mall or around Younge Street doesn't work very well. But at least I know it's not that far if I ever need anything. My dear hubby showed up for a surprise visit on Thursday night, we had an enjoyable time and he brought my jacket ... not that I've needed it so far, but now I have one should it be cold again.

After being gone for two weeks I get to sleep in my own bed again tonight and enjoy the company of my children tomorrow, especially Matthew who I have not seen for two weeks now. It's a strange feeling when it feels more like you are babysitting someones child then that it's actually your own child. I look forward to the day when we can get to know each other again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your strength and patience amazes me, Stephanie. James is truly blessed to have you as his mother and constant companion. We hope and pray that this coming week will see much improvement for James' health. We also wish Rob much strength as he tries to keep it all together. God bless,
The Noots