Wednesday 17 October 2007

Still the Same

It appears we are not making any progress on James' current situation. James himself has perked up a bit over the last couple days, appearing more energetic and himself, but as soon as the ibprophen wears off the fever seems to set in again. Over the last couple days we have not seen high fevers, but just mediocre ones, but he continues to be on at least 2L of oxgyen. So although he himself looks better he is not actually getting better.

This mornings x-ray showed the right lung to be about the same and the left lung to be worse. So it seems the infection has spread from the right to the left, which is to be expected. James is currently on a broad spectrum antibiotic which is meant to kill the bacteria that was found during his lavage as well as hopefully kill anything else in his lungs. Since this antibiotic is not working it is assumed that it is not this bacteria that is causing the infection but something else must be going on. The Respiratory Team's plan is to change to an even broader spectrum antibiotic to hopefully kill whatever could be in the lungs. At the same time they have called Infectious Control in to evaluate what they are doing and offer any adviced on what to give him now. We meet with them this morning to go over things and they have the same plan as the Respiratory Team. So we will be starting with a new antibiotic and if this doesn't work then we will need to do another bronchoscopy to once again clean his lungs and test what is in it to help them understand how to treat him. They have mentioned that there is a slight chance that this is his PAP at work, although nobody really seems to believe that this would be the case as it has never been seen to progress so rapidly. So, we are praying that this new antibiotic does the trick.

We still have not received the results of his stool test checking for C.Diff, but his stools have been good the last few days, so we no longer think that this is an issue. Whatever the case, it would not be causing the current problem.

Yesterday I decided to take a walk outside and get some fresh air while James napped. Usually I spend that time at the computer, but did not need to yesterday. My bright and fresh idea was cut short when I stepped outside and was reminded of how the world and the seasons keep on ticking even when we live in our small little world. Apparently a person needs to wear socks and shoes now, and long sleeves would be good ... and a jacket definitely helps!! :) Funny how I write the date every day, but it doesn't seem to mean anything. As I looked around and seen the flowers still blooming I realized that it's warmer then normal and here I was suprised as the last time I was outside it was shorts weather. And seeing as I don't have a jacket here, looks like I won't be taking any walks afterall ... maybe if I jog I won't need a jacket! :) So I hope you're all enjoying the lovely weather out there ... fall has always been my favourite time of year ... I can't wait to get out of here and have my opportunity to dress appropriate and go out and enjoy the refreshing air.

1 comment:

amymom24 said...

Sorry that things are at a frustrating stand-still. Hopefully the new antibiotics will do something. Glad his stools are doing better despite being on the antibiotics! Make sure Rob brings you a jacket - you definitely need to get out and clear your head once in a while, esp. with no end in sight. We don't want YOU to get sick now, too! (sheesh, do I sound like a mother or what LOL)